Fill out a Volunteer Application
Volunteers currently needed in our Apothecary Shop
(additional training needed)
If you're the type of person who likes to be in on the action and experience new things in an exciting dynamic environment, the MOST is the right place for you.
If you'd like to learn more about this unique experience, please look at our frequently asked questions and then fill out a volunteer application.
Ongoing museum needs
Volunteer exhibit hall hosts are needed to help guests interact with our newest exhibits.
There is an ongoing need for volunteers to help host birthday parties at the MOST. Volunteers are needed Saturdays and Sundays and can work flexible hours, with a minimum of three hours a month.
Volunteers are invited to design their own science programs, workshops or demonstrations. This is a great opportunity for retired teachers and other creative minds. Volunteers provide the idea and the MOST supplies the resources and the guests. This is an ongoing need with flexible hours.
Housekeeping volunteers are needed from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Tuesdays through Fridays to clean exhibits and perform various duties. Pick a day convenient for you!
Join the MOST's Volunteer e-mail list for spam-less online notification of opportunities and appreciation events IF you check your email at least twice a week. Just e-mail the Volunteer Coordinator to add you to the listserv of over 500 people receiving regular updates.
With advanced training, volunteers can start on:
- Apothecary Shop - show museum guests what an old pharmacy looked like!
- Amateur Radio Station (HAM) - you can volunteer even if you don't have an amateur radio license!
- Being an Omnitheater usher
- Demonstrations - scientific principles or live animal "visits" with the public
The MOST recruits interns for the following unpaid positions. Candidates should submit resumes as soon as possible via e-mail to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Basic Internship Info:
- For college or high school credit
- Available with most departments
- One or two-semester, summer and winter-term options available
- Can accommodate anything from a 40-hour "career introduction internship" to a 12-credit, 2-semester honors project
Note: NO stipends available, but we can work around the schedule of your paying job
- PR/Marketing (seniors and graduate students preferred)
- Computer and Information Sciences
Internship positions available in our Information Technology Department. We're looking for Web centric people with Cold Fusion, HTML and database knowledge.
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP "BEHIND THE SCENES" OR AT HOME
- Update the scientific information and style of our planetarium slide shows and transfer them to PowerPoint demonstrations (as needed)
- Help in the office / answer phones
- Do data entry for a variety of projects and departments
- Make phone calls to companies, schools and volunteers
- Prepare mailings --usually a small group of people get together
- Distribute flyers about the MOST and IMAX posters around the county
- Design and/or produce science demonstrations
- Research grant proposals to expand programs, add services or create exhibits at the MOST
MOST volunteers are eligible for the following benefits:
- Free admission to the exhibit halls whenever the museum is open to the public
- 20% discount at the Science Store on purchases over $5
- Invitations to special programs including occasional IMAX® previews
- Free newsletter
- Free Family Plus or Grandparent membership to the MOST after serving only 100 hours within a 12-month period
- Access to designated parking places at the museum or free bus tokens
- Mileage and expenses are tax deductible for those who itemize
- And of course, the satisfaction of helping the MOST bring science education and entertainment to our community!